It was a week before my sorority's Finer Womanhood banquet. The theme of this year's banquet was "Hollywood in the 1920's". I had just taken out my kinky twists and thought it would be a great idea to get some pin curls for the banquet. So that weekend, I went to the hair salon to get a relaxer.
This day at the salon was just like any other. I had a 10:00 appointment, but I didn't get seen until 2:00. When it was finally my turn to be seen I sat in the chair while she surrounded my edges with petroleum jelly, separated my hair into four parts, and proceeded to put in the relaxer. When she was done, I sat on the side so I could let the relaxer set. You all know how it goes, the longer we are able to handle the burning, the better and flyer our hair will look. So that's what I did, I sat and waited... sat and waited until I felt like my scalp was on fire.
When I felt that it was time to rinse out the relaxer, the "hair stylist" told me to hold on a little more (she was busy with other clients). She continued to tell me to "hold on" for about twenty minutes. When she finally came to rinse out the relaxer, the feeling was orgasmic. I was finally relieved from my scorching scalp.
A few days went by and it was finally time for the banquet. I had my cute little royal blue dress and yes, the pin curls. The event turned out great! I was on cloud nine because all of my chapter's hard work paid off. But, I soon fell off that cloud.
The next day as I unwrapped my hair, I noticed that the middle of my head felt a little funny. By funny I mean damn near bald. Whaaaaat?! I must of shouted all the curse words known to man. I was IRATE. For the next few days, I wore a various number of hats until I decided to put the kinky twists back in. I did this for about 6 months, until I had enough.
My hair wasn't growing back the way I wanted it so I decided to just even my hair out, and cut it off. With the help of my boyfriend, I took the scissors and cut away. BUT, I did not like what I saw so this time I decided to put some micro braids in. After a year of kinky twists and micro braids, I decided I would give my hair a shot. And for the first time, I wore my hair out and allowed the world to see my fresh curls. on April 26th 2010, I had my NAPPY BREAKTHRU.
* Finer Womanhood Banquet March 2009
* April 26th 2010 - Serving food at UMass' BlackOut Weekend


I enjoyed reading your first post!!!
ReplyDeleteI swear clients should bring lawsuits against these hairdressers who inflict physical and emotional damages...lol!!! I'll be glad to represent you!!!
Great first post! I remember when I had my nappy breakthru, I felt so free and happy to be done with the creamy crack! One of the best decisions of my life and never turning back =)
ReplyDeletehey hey hey .... that creamy crack is the SHIT!! lol i didn't have a "nappy breakthru" but I had a "healthy hair breakthru" does that count?? lol
ReplyDelete@Jess That most definitely counts. It's all about learning to take proper care of your hair regardless if it's natural, permed, and anything in between!!!
ReplyDeleteI support healthy hair no matter what texture it is!
ReplyDelete